Most people have hiccups occasionally. Getting hiccups make them embarrassed and sometimes unendurable. We share you some tips to stop hiccups.
First, what is a hiccup?
Hiccups are the incontinent and disrupted contraction phases of the diaphragm that repeat several times, because the inhalation stops suddenly, glottis closed quickly. It is not dangerous, but it can bring a lot of problems for the patient.
normally, only a short time tens of minutes as your body balance itself and hiccups will end. But there are also many cases of hiccups lasted all day or several days.
Case of prolonged usual hiccups that makes patients fatigue, insomnia, dehydration and respiratory control by hyperventilation can be treated with medication. But before that, you can use some of the following suggested tips.
Causes of hiccups
There are approximately 100 different causes of hiccups, the most common are:
The pathology of digestive tract stimulates the vagus nerve and nerve diaphragm (such as gastroesophageal reflux disease – the esophagus, stomach ulcers, esophagitis, cholecystitis, pancreatitis, bloated stomach, etc…).
The metabolic disorders due to drugs and toxins (such as increased blood urea, alcohol poisoning, after taking some drugs) are also common causes.
Other causes of hiccups may be damage of central nervous system (brain injury, encephalitis, etc.), psychological factors (anxiety, psychological trauma, etc…), after stomach surgery, heart attack. Some cases of hiccups haven’t been determined their cause.
How to stop hiccups without drug?
1. Immerse your face in ice-cold water for 30 seconds, you will immediately see the effect.
2. Drink small sips continuously, hiccup will subside and end
3. Open your mouth to take a deep breathe and hold your breathe for 30 seconds, then release it.
4. Try inhaling a bit of black pepper. This creates a sneezing reaction that can stop a bout of hiccups
5. Put your tongue out and hold it for 5 seconds. Repeat 5-6 times. Hiccup will end.
6. Use paper bags cure hiccups: paper bag knots beheaded around the mouth, breathing deeply and slowly. Stop when you feel dizzy. This method causes the amount of CO2 in the blood and makes the diaphragm contractions stronger and longer to get more oxygen to the lungs.
7. If you want to cure hiccups for other people, you can do a move causing startled (such as sudden scare or surprising appearance banging on their shoulder…A surprising small debate or argue make also victims focus on “fight” and stop hiccups..
8. For children, they should drink small sips or suck a spoon of sugar gradually and swallow, you should tickle their armpit or tell them a humorous story to make them laugh.
To prevent a hiccup, you should not eat too much or too full. If hiccups usually come, do not eat too much hot spicy and not drink the alcohol and stimulants.
If hiccups occur frequently or persist, you should consult a doctor because sometimes hiccups are symptom of certain pathological effects that lead to stimulate the diaphragm, such as pleurisy, pneumonia, hepatitis, gastroesophageal disorders…
Keyword search terms:
- hiccups cinnamon
- how to stop hiccups